The DONNA Foundation Debuts New 5K Race in Riverside This Spring
Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K will be held Saturday, May 7, 2022
Jacksonville, Fla. –– April 7, 2022 –– The DONNA Foundation will debut a new 5K race this spring in Jacksonville’s Riverside neighborhood: the Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K, to be held Saturday, May 7, 2022.
Funds raised through the Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K will support The DONNA Foundation’s mission to provide economic assistance and emotional support to individuals living with breast cancer and fund groundbreaking breast cancer research.
Approximately 34% of the patients served by The DONNA Foundation in program year 2021 were mothers with children at home. By hosting this event on the Saturday of Mother’s Day weekend, Foundation leaders hope to inspire moms everywhere to take steps toward understanding, improving and protecting their breast health.
“Mothers who are actively raising children while undergoing breast cancer treatment face unique challenges,” said Amanda Napolitano, Executive Director of The DONNA Foundation. “Our events help breast cancer patients and families face their diagnosis from a place of love instead of fear. We’re excited to debut this new race in Riverside on Mother’s Day weekend, as a way to surround all moms with love and support — especially moms who are patients and survivors.”
This new event is the first Mother’s Day race in Riverside in the Foundation’s 19-year history. The course will begin and end at the historic Friday Musicale at 8 a.m. Along the way, participants will experience the beauty of the neighborhood’s architecture and gardens at the height of the spring blooming season.
For Melissa Circelli, Chief Human Resources Officer of Black Knight and a board member of The DONNA Foundation, the purpose behind this new race hits close to home in more ways than one.
“Black Knight’s headquarters are located in Riverside, and we are delighted to be the title sponsor for The DONNA Foundation’s very first Mother’s Day race in our neighborhood,” said Circelli. “I also know firsthand how important it is to uplift families and celebrate survivorship. Black Knight is a longstanding supporter of The DONNA Foundation, which has helped many members of the Black Knight family and their loved ones as they battle and have survived breast cancer. This includes our race honoree, Leah Strommer, who recently beat triple-negative breast cancer and benefited from the research funded by The DONNA Foundation. Together with our colleagues across the Black Knight enterprise, I look forward to joining The DONNA Foundation to celebrate the start of a new tradition this Mother’s Day weekend.”
During the 30 days leading up to Mother’s Day (April 8 through May 8), The DONNA Foundation will celebrate moms locally and across the nation. Supporters can join in this effort by:
- Registering to run or walk in the Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K. Participants will take off on a brand-new DONNA 5K route through Jacksonville’s beautiful Riverside neighborhood, starting and ending at the historic Friday Musicale. With its new hybrid format, runners can choose to gather “Together” in person or run virtually throughout the weekend. Register at breastcancermarathon.com.
- Honoring your mom by posting a photo to the DONNA Tribute Wall presented by Florida Blue. Follow The DONNA Foundation on social media for stories celebrating moms over the coming weeks. Share your photo at breastcancermarathon.com/donna-tribute-wall.
- Contributing to the “Every Mom” gift challenge by making a donation in support of the critical programs of The DONNA Foundation, starting a fundraiser or joining an existing fundraising team. Organizations can go the extra mile by hosting a fundraiser in partnership with their place of busi Give or fundraise at support.thedonnafoundation.org/goto/celebratemoms.
- Talking with the moms in your life about breast health. According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 5-10% of breast cancer cases are thought to be hereditary. Discussing your family’s breast cancer history with relatives and medical providers is an important step toward monitoring, managing and maintaining your breast health.
- Joining the conversation about moms and breast cancer on Wednesday, April 13, at 7 p.m. The DONNA Foundation will host a webinar panel discussion focusing on the most impactful ways to support moms through their breast cancer journey, featuring Kristin Lothman, a mindfulness counselor from Mayo Clinic and breast cancer survivors Kristie Kirschner, Michelle Mecca and Leah Strommer. Facilitated by our Noisy Cancer Comeback Announcer, and breast cancer survivor Fitz Koehler. Streamed live at com/26.2withDONNA.
- Partnering with The DONNA Foundation to become a sponsor of the 2022 Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K event. Sponsor and vendor opportunities designed to maximize brand exposure locally, regionally and nationwide to a unique, and desirable demographic are available. Companies can also sponsor race registrations for employees. Learn more at breastcancermarathon.com/become-a-sponsor-2022.
The Black Knight DONNA Mother’s Day 5K is the third and final event of The DONNA Foundation’s 2022 Fearless Series. Registration is open at mdyw.breastcancermarathon.com.
Full details for The DONNA Foundation’s 2023 Fearless Series, including the 16th Annual DONNA Marathon Weekend (February 3-5, 2023), will be announced later this year.
The DONNA Foundation was established in June of 2003 by three-time breast cancer survivor and award-winning journalist Donna Deegan to meet the critical financial needs of the underserved living with breast cancer. Our mission is to provide financial assistance and support to individuals living with breast cancer and fund groundbreaking breast cancer research. To date, The DONNA Foundation has served more than 15,600 families, securing more than $418,000 in financial services and debt relief in the 2020-2021 fiscal year. The organization has also disbursed $3.3 million in support of translational genomics and immune studies. The organization also operates in-person and virtual events supporting the Survivorship, Education and Awareness Program. For more information, visit www.TheDONNAFoundation.org.
About Black Knight
Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) is an award-winning software, data and analytics company that drives innovation in the mortgage lending and servicing and real estate industries, as well as the capital and secondary markets. Businesses leverage our robust, integrated solutions across the entire homeownership life cycle to help retain existing customers, gain new customers, mitigate risk and operate more effectively.
Our clients rely on our proven, comprehensive, scalable products and our unwavering commitment to delivering superior client support to achieve their strategic goals and better serve their customers. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.