What is the DONNA Monthly Giving Society?
The DONNA Foundation’s DONNA Monthly Giving Society is a giving program that supports families living with breast cancer year-round. Simply put, it costs about $230 a year to provide case management services for a single family in need, or $19 a month for 12 months. This is an essential service we provide to families through our DONNA CareLine. A dedicated case manager helps each of these families navigate the daily challenges related to their diagnosis, such as the cost of living debt crisis that forces many to choose between treatment or paying for their critical needs—including rent, groceries, utilities, daycare and more. These dreadful choices often result in a patient’s decision to end treatment.
Member Benefit Alert!
New membership perk! All members of The DONNA Monthly Giving Society will receive exclusive, discounted pricing on all DONNA race events, including The National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer, as highlighted on our event websites. Members will receive a special registration link via email prior to registration opening.
Each year, about 1,000 breast cancer patients, families, and caregivers rely heavily on The DONNA Foundation and our CareLine services. The DONNA Monthly Giving Society ensures these patients receive the help they need while faced with a breast cancer diagnosis. Additionally, your generous tax-deductible donation is compounded by the services distributed through the DONNA CareLine. For every $1 donated, $5 in care and resources is provided to DONNA recipients.
Your recurring, monthly gift of $19 will assist people like Carmen with the following:
Debt crisis and cost of living resolutions
- 322 families received sources of rent/mortgage payment relief through the DONNA CareLine in 2020.
- 247 families received sources of utility or phone bill payment relief through the DONNA CareLine in 2020.
- 211 families received transportation assistance through the DONNA CareLine in 2020.
- 214 families obtained financial assistance through negotiated payment plans and discounts for hospital bills through the DONNA CareLine in 2020.
Did You Know?
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2020, an estimated 276,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 48,530 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- About 2,620 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2020. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 883.
- Patients and their caregivers report taking actions to reduce the cost of care, including cutting pills in half (9% of patients, 11% of caregivers, respectively), postponing or not filling prescriptions (8% and 12%), skipping or postponing doctor appointments (8% and 14%), ordering medications from overseas (4% and 6%), or even refusing treatment (5% and 12%).
- Both patients and caregivers reported having dipped into savings (20% and 28%), worked extra hours (14% and 19%), or even filed for bankruptcy (5% and 6%), among other actions, to help pay for care. Among those who have not yet had to use their savings, 37% of patients and 41% of caregivers said they were concerned about having to do so in the future.
The need for help grows, but together, we can finish breast cancer and help families when they need it most. For more information or questions, please email email@example.com. And to increase your impact, please also ask a family member, friend or coworker to join with you!