The Numbers Surrounding Breast Cancer
The DONNA Foundation exists to provide financial assistance and support to those living with breast cancer. The numbers are staggering, but with your help, we can help this that need it most. Did you know…
- 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2017, an estimated 311,000 families learned that a breast cancer diagnosis would change their lives.
- Nearly 73% of breast cancer patients contemplate modifying or skipping their medication or treatment to save money. 41 % actually do it.
- Close to 47 % of families living with breast cancer are using their retirement account to pay for out-of-pocket expenses, 26% paid with their credit card.
- Well over 80% of breast cancer patient report medical expenses totaling up to $10,000, with insurance.
Where Does This Leave Families Living With Breast Cancer?
Many of them are making tough treatment choices in an effort to manage the financial toxicity that is filling their lives.
- Almost 10% are not filling their prescription.
- Roughly 20% are only taking part of their medication regimen.
- Just over 5% are skipping chemotherapy.
The DONNA Foundation has helped nearly 12,000 families face their diagnosis from a place of love instead of a place of fear. Through the DONNA CareLine, families receive a range of services aimed at alleviating these types of challenges. Our programs help families focus their energies on getting healthy. Patients of any insurance status, age, gender, ethnicity, state in the US, or income range are eligible to receive support through the DONNA CareLine.
This year we answered 28% more calls for help this year than last year, we cannot do it alone.
Families need your help. Living in fear, fed by worry—“Do I pay for my medication or put food on the table for my kids this month?” is a real threat. With a generous gift today, you will remove these types of obstacles. Please join us as we positively impact the lives of those in need.